Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Orthodoxy and the 2008 Presidential Race

It is not the practice of the Orthodox Church in America to endorse political candidates.

And while the moral teaching of the Church is clear on a multitude of controversial issues, it is entirely appropriate for faithful believers to debate the merits of the various candidates and to argue vigorously about which candidate is best suited for leadership.

That being said, I just came across an interesting open letter by Dr. Clark Carlton in support of Rep. Ron Paul's presidential bid. Dr. Carlton is a Southern Baptist convert to the Orthodox Church with degrees from Carson Newman College, St. Vladimir's Seminary, and the Catholic University of America. He teaches undergraduate philosophy at Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville, Tennessee.

This passage, among others, caught my eye:

"I have never contributed to a presidential campaign before. I have never put a political bumper sticker on my car before. And I have never written a letter like this before. I have done all three because for the first time in my life I truly believe that there is a chance to return this nation to the rule of law under the Constitution. Traditional Republicans feel betrayed by the Bush Administration, and anti-war and pro-civil liberties Democrats are beginning to see through the hypocrisy of their own candidates. The time is right for a man like Ron Paul, and Ron Paul is precisely the man we need for these times. As Judge Andrew Napolitano recently commented..., 'We need a Ron Paul in the White House more desperately now than we ever have at any time in our history.'"

Read Dr. Carlton's entire letter here.

(I'd be very interested in seeing other arguments from Orthodox Christians in support of any of the other candidates. If you find one, email me)