Monday, June 19, 2006

Orthodoxy's African Heritage

I recently came across the following article from the Detroit Free Press on the Directions to Orthodoxy website, which tells the little-known story of Orthodoxy in Africa.


CHRISTIANITY'S AFRICAN HERITAGE:
Blacks find roots in faith

Detroit Free Press

BY DAVID CRUMM
FREE PRESS RELIGION WRITER

After a lifetime in traditional African-American churches, Robert Aaron Mitchell discovered the sights, smells, sounds and ancient traditions of the Orthodox church.

"I discovered Orthodoxy while I was on the Internet one day back in 2001, and I was so drawn to it that I had to go attend a liturgy," Mitchell said. "I had no frame of reference for these traditions, but suddenly, I felt like this void was filling in my life. I felt like I was finally coming home." (read it all)

(icon from the website of the Orthodox Church in America)