Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Atheism and the Experience of God

As has often been the case, my Lenten prayers and devotional reading have been fitful and sporadic. I've been working slowly through a little book by Archimandrite Sophrony on Saint Silouan the Athonite. It's been slow going -- I am distracted by many things and my mind is prone to wander. There are times I read and re-read the same paragraph, even the same sentence, before even coming close to grasping the meaning and significance.

Pray for me and my scattered mind and heart.

Recently, I was intrigued to find two short pieces by Father John Breck addressing the phenomenon of atheism and the Orthodox experience of God that refer to the legacy of Saint Silouan.

They're worth pondering.

Here are the links:

Atheism and the Experience of God (Part I)

Atheism and the Experience of God (Part II)